Download the latest version of iTunes before proceeding to the next steps. To check for updates, do the following:
- Launch iTunes.
- Click the Help menu.
- Select Check for Updates.
- If an update is available, follow the on-screen instructions to update your software.
Back up your original iPhone
iCloud automatically backs up the most important data on an iPhone running iOS 5 or later when connected to the Internet via a Wi-Fi network.
Connect your original iPhone to a Wi-Fi network and perform the following steps if:
- On your iPhone, tap Settings.
- Select iCloud.
- Sign in with an Apple ID.
- Select Get a Free Apple ID if one has not been created, as it is required to continue.
- Select the desired backup content by choosing ON beside it.
- Select Storage & Backup.
- Under Backup, enable iCloud Backup.
- Select Back Up Now.
- Your iPhone backs up wirelessly to iCloud.
Restore from an iCloud backup
You can restore content to your new iPhone from the backup stored in iCloud.
Connect the new iPhone to a Wi-Fi network and perform the following steps:
- In Setup Assistant , select Restore from iCloud Backup, then tap Next.
- Enter your Apple ID and password.
- Select the most recent backup if there is more than one.
- Tap Restore.
- A progress bar will appear and may take a few minutes to complete. You may be prompted to enter the passwords for all accounts enabled on the iPhone.
If the iPhone has been set up without iCloud:
- Tap Settings on your iPhone.
- Select iCloud.
- Sign in with an Apple ID. Continue from Step 3 above.
- Once settings are restored, your purchased music, TV shows, apps, books, Camera Roll, and other content will download.