Intro & Installation
About TELUS Business Connect™ for Google
TELUS Business Connect for Google provides seamless integration between your Google account and your Business Connect services.
It offers these features:
- Use Google Chrome browser on any platform (Windows®, Mac®, and Chromebook®).
- Make or receive calls through the Business Connect phone system directly from your Gmail account.
- Find your Google and Business Connect contacts combined together in an easy to search screen.
- Enable click-to-dial on any phone number on in your Gmail, allowing you to spend more time servicing clients and less time dialing.
- Listen to your voicemails directly from your browser.
- View calls you’ve made, received or missed.
- Schedule an audio conference or Business Connect Meetings from your Google Calendar.
- Integrate audio conferencing with Google Hangouts to allow participants to dial right into a Hangout.
About this guide
This guide is designed for users of TELUS Business Connect for Google. It shows how to add the application to your browser and how to use the application. This guide also provides some basic troubleshooting tips.
For optimal user experience, ensure that:
- Your Google Chrome is updated to the latest version.
- You have set the correct number as your Business Connect Direct Number – you will be making and receiving calls from this number through the Google interface. You can find your Business Connect Direct Number in the Business Connect Voice Manager Portal at My Settings > Phones and Numbers > Direct Numbers.
- You are logged in to your Gmail account.
Go to the Google Chrome web store and find TELUS Business Connect for Google.
Once you have found the app in the Google web store, click the plus button to add the app to your Google Chrome browser.
After the app is installed, go to your Gmail account in your Chrome browser; you should see TELUS Business Connect for Google on the right side of your Gmail.
To log into TELUS Business Connect for Google, use your Business Connect Direct Number for the phone number and your Business Connect password. Business Connect for Google is available for all Business Connect customers.
You can select Remember me to stay logged in to TELUS Business Connect for Google for one week.
Collapse and retract button
When TELUS Business Connect for Google is not in use, you can collapse it to give yourself more reading area in your Gmail.
You can also get to these options anytime by clicking on the gear icon in the top navigation bar.
- Direct Number: This is the number from which outgoing calls will be made. This field cannot be left blank.
- Press 1 to start a call: When you make an outgoing call, TELUS will first call you at your Business Connect Direct Number. Once you answer the call, you will have an option to press “1” before the call is connected to the other party. If this option is not enabled, then TELUS will call your number and the dialed number simultaneously.
- Google Contacts: Displays the TELUS Business Connect for Google authorization status. As a user you are required to authorize TELUS Business Connect for Google to be able to view your Google contacts on your behalf. This is a one-time procedure unless you revoke the access.
- Click the save button to save your settings: These settings are cleared when the user logs out of the application, but will persist if the user logs out from Gmail without logging out from the App and had also selected the option Remember Me on the login screen while logging in.
TELUS Business Connect for Google needs to be authorized by you to access your Google contacts. If you do not authorize access, and you attempt to search your Business Connect and Google contacts, TELUS Business Connect for Google will present an Authorize pop-up.
After you click the authorize button on TELUS Business Connect for Google, you will see a pop up from Google. Make sure your appropriate Google email is selected on the drop down. You are authorizing TELUS Business Connect for Google to access and search the Google contacts under this Google account. Click accept to authorize TELUS Business Connect for Google.
Calls & Contacts
You can bring up the dialer by clicking the dialer icon from navigation bar. In order to make an outbound call you can either use the number buttons on the dial pad or type a number directly in the text box.
Click to dial
You can also use the click-to-dial feature to make an outbound call. Once you are logged in successfully to TELUS Business Connect for Google, all phone numbers in your Gmail become clickable links which, when clicked, will dial that number using your Business Connect phone.
Once you click on a phone number or use the dial pad to make an outbound call, TELUS Business Connect for Google shows the status of your call and your selected Business Connect device will ring (Fig 12).
After you accept the call on your Business Connect device, you may be prompted to press 1 if you had selected the check box on your setting screen. Once you have accepted the call (either by pressing 1 or simply by picking up the phone depending on your settings), the destination phone will ring (Fig 13).
Once the call is connected and destination phone is ringing, the status is shown on TELUS Business Connect for Google (Fig 14).
When you have an incoming call, TELUS Business Connect for Google will show you an indicator and start a timer when the call is connected (Fig 15). Once the call is connected, the call timer shows up. When you click on the close button you are navigated back to the screen you were on prior to the call (Fig 16).
You can view all your Voice and Fax messages on the Messages screen. This screen is designed to display all the messages that you have received for the past week. Messages are organized in tabs. The All tab displays all your messages including voice and fax. You can select a specific tab to view the list of messages of that type.
New message indicator
When you receive a new voice message or fax, TELUS Business Connect for Google shows a new message indicator with a number in a red field. The number indicates the total number of messages that are new messages.
The message details shows:
- Direction of the message (Incoming or Outgoing).
- Contact name (if available).
- Phone number.
- Message Received or Sent time.
- A Call button that allows you to make a call to your message sender or recipient.
- A Back button allows you to go back to the message list.
In order to listen to your voice message click on the name or number that appears on the message. A voice mail audio control will pop up.
- The play button will allow you play your voice message through your computer’s audio.
- A voice message duration is displayed.
- You can pause and resume anytime the message is playing.
- You can return a call to the person who left you this message by clicking on the phone icon.
- You can flag this message by clicking on the flag icon.
- You can delete a message by clicking on the delete icon.
To view a fax message, click on the name or number that appears on the message. A fax message control will pop up.
- When you click on the fax icon on the pop up, the fax will open up in your browser.
- Clicking on delete will delete the fax message.
TELUS Business Connect for Google allows you access your Business Connect Company Directory, Business Connect Personal Contacts, and Google Contacts.
You can navigate to the Contacts screen by clicking on the person icon in the navigation bar.
The screen is initially blank; type in the search box to find your contact.
As you start typing in the search text box, TELUS Business Connect for Google will simultaneously search your Google, Personal and Company directory contacts.
You can select a contact by clicking on the “i” icon or the contact’s name from the contact search result to view the contact’s details.
You can see the contact’s first name, last name, email and phone number.
When you click the down arrow icon next to a phone number, it will expand to give you an option to initiate a call to your contact.
Clicking the back arrow will take you back to the Contacts screen.
The Call Log screen shows a list of all your calls in the last week. Click on the clock icon on the navigation bar to bring up the Call Log screen.
The Call Log screen is organized into two tabs. The “All” tab displays all your calls, while the “Missed” tab displays a list of calls that you missed.
The list displays the caller name, caller location and time of the call. The list of calls is sorted by time when the call was originated, with the newest calls on top.
The screen allows you to search for a call record. By entering a phone number or caller name in the search box, you can filter the call logs according to the search criteria you entered.
A phone icon with an arrow indicates the direction of the call. A phone icon with arrow pointing to the right indicates an incoming call and arrow pointing to the left indicates an outgoing call.
The “i” icon on a given call record will allow you to view the call details.
The Call Details screen shows detailed call information.
Here you can view the call direction, caller id, call location, call time and call duration.
You can view your audio conference information or schedule a new audio conference in the audio conference screen.
The screen displays the dial-in number, your host code, and the participant code that you distribute to people whom you wish to participate in your conference.
When you select international participant checkbox, TELUS Business Connect for Google displays a list of countries along with their respective dial-in numbers.
The list is searchable; you can type in first few letters of the country name to avoid scrolling through the entire list. You can select the country by selecting the checkbox for that country name.
Clicking on Invite with Google Calendar will create a Google calendar invite as described in the next section.
Audio conference – Google calendar invite
Once you have created a Google Calendar invite from the audio conference screen, you’ll find that the audio conference information has been prepopulated into your Google Calendar invite. Here you can interact with your Google Calendar invite just as you normally would; enter your event name, invite guests, or edit the description. Finally, click the save button and Google Calendar will add the meeting to your calendar and send an invitation to your guests.
TELUS Business Connect meetings
You can schedule a TELUS Business Connect meeting with your Google Calendar. TELUS Business Connect meetings allows you to host meetings with audio, video or screen sharing. The calendar icon on the navigation bar brings up TELUS Business Connect meetings schedule screen.
The meeting topic is required.
Select Recurring meeting checkbox if you would like; otherwise select a single date and time.
Select the meeting type and meeting options and click on the Invite with Google button.
TELUS Business Connect meeting – Google calendar invite
Once you have set up your meeting in TELUS Business Connect for Google, a new Google Calendar invite will be created for you prepopulated with the information you have specified. You will see the TELUS Business Connect meeting information is also prepopulated in your Google Calendar invite. You can modify the event name, add guest email(s) or edit anything that you would like in description. Finally click the save button and Google Calendar will add the meeting to your calendar and send an invitation to your guests.
TELUS Business Connect for Google hangouts
TELUS Business Connect for Google Hangouts allows you bridge your audio conferencing with a Google Hangout, enabling users to dial into the Hangout.
You can initiate a new Google Hangout bridge with an audio conference by clicking on the hangout icon in TELUS Business Connect for Google.
New Google hangout
A new Hangout session is initiated in a new browser tab after you click on the hangout icon.
Right after the session is started Google Hangout will ask if you would like to invite other users to Google Hangout session. Add any participants in this session who wish to participate as Google Hangout users.
Once you are done adding the email addresses for the Hangout users, then click the green invite button. Alternately, you can simply click close to close this dialog.
Next, TELUS Business Connect for Google Hangouts will prompt you to make a phone call to audio conferencing on your behalf.
Upon selecting Yes your Hangout session will be connected to your audio conference bridge which is added as a phone participant in the Hangout session. TELUS Business Connect for Google Hangouts will automatically enter your host code for the audio conference.
Audio conference control in Google hangouts
Once the App is connected to your audio conference, you will see the audio conference control on your Google Hangout. Your phone participant can call the audio conference number displayed; you’ll need to provide them with the participant PIN to dial in.
Q: I can’t see TELUS Business Connect for Google when I login to my Gmail. What is the problem? Does it require some special permission?
A: No, TELUS Business Connect for Google does not require any special permission. Make sure TELUS Business Connect for Google is installed correctly from the Chrome App store and is enabled — you can see this by going to the Chrome menu, and then to More Tools > Extensions.
Q: Can I use the same TELUS Business Connect for Google for many Gmail Accounts?
A: Yes you can. Please make sure you authorize TELUS Business Connect for Google with your appropriate Gmail account in order to access your Google contacts.
Q: Can I use the same TELUS Business Connect for Google across multiple browsers (IE and Firefox, for example)?
A: No, TELUS Business Connect for Google works only on Google Chrome at this time.
Q: I make a call to myself, and the incoming call features are not working.
A: This behavior is expected — calls from your own extension to your own extension will not appear in TELUS Business Connect for Google.
Q: I would like to disable this feature for now.
A: Go to the Chrome menu, and then to More Tools > Extensions; you will see TELUS Business Connect for Google. Click the trash icon next to it to remove it.
Q: Which Operating Systems are supported?
A: The following Operating Systems are supported:
- Windows XP, 7, 8 and above.
- Mac OS X Mountain Lion and above.
- Chrome OS 39 and above.