What you need to know
Whether you use a feature phone, smartphone, tablet or a mobile internet key, TELUS will notify you when you're close to using all of the data included in your monthly rate plan, Data Add Ons or travel passes . See below for additional details.
- Data notifications help track your use so you can adjust your data package plan or usage if necessary.
- Data notifications are automatically enabled for you, and you’ll receive the following detail in the notification:
- Amount of data remaining in MB
- Dollar amount in overage charges (if applicable)
- End date of your bill cycle
- If you're using pay-per-use data, we'll notify you once you've used $50 and $200 and every $200 increment thereafter.
- If your team is using a shareable data plan, all members on the plan will receive data usage notifications. (Please see the Share Plan section for more details.)
- If you're on a Flex Plan (Cost Assure plan), you'll receive data notifications after you have consumed data in all the tiers and are into overage. The first overage notification starts at $50 past the final tier of your plan.
- If you’re using a feature phone or smartphone, you’ll receive free TELUS text messages to notify you about your data usage.
- If you’re using a mobile Internet key, you receive data notifications in your connection manager.
- The amount of data sent or received by a device is measured in kilobytes (KB) and is presented on your monthly invoice in megabytes (MB). 1024 KB = 1 MB. 1024 MB = 1 gigabyte (GB).
- Only individual members will be notified of their data overage in dollar amounts
- Opt out – if one sub opts out of notifications, all the other members on the same share plan will also forego notifications
Sometimes keeping track of your data usage while roaming can be challenging. To help you manage roaming charges, TELUS will send you SMS notifications.
Types of Notifications
- Welcome messages are sent when you arrive in another country. The message includes pay-per-use rates, how-to-dial instructions, and information on your roaming passport (if you have purchased one).
- Data usage notifications:
- If you have a roaming passport, data usage notifications will indicate % of the roaming passport used at various thresholds (e.g. 75%, 90%, 100%)
- If you are using pay-per-use data or incur overages, data usage notifications will indicate $ amount charged at various thresholds (e.g. $50, $100, $300, etc)
- All incoming SMS are free while travelling outside of Canada.
- Welcome home messages are received upon your return to Canada, and summarize your usage during your trip.
Increase your data package
TELUS offers a variety of Voice and Data plans, as well as Data Add-ons, that offer different data amounts. If you are authorized do so, you can change your available data plan or add on by calling *611 or by logging into your TELUS account. To change your data package, log in to your TELUS account .
To buy a roaming passport, do one of the following:
- Log into your online account (or register now)
- Use the TELUS My Account app
- Call *611 (or +1 416-940-5995 if travelling internationally) from your TELUS phone
Stop data notifications
Data usage notifications are free of charge and will be sent to you automatically. If you don't want to be notified about your data usage, you can opt out of receiving data notifications by contacting us.
Please note that opting out of notifications means that you (and any other members on your share plan, if applicable) will no longer be alerted when you enter another country, and you will not receive a message with the pay-per-use ra